//
you're reading...
Wings

Wing riveting begins

Hello world. Apologies for not posting an update recently. I recently changed jobs and haven’t been in the shed for a few weeks. I managed to get some work done today though.

I started by checking the plans for the rear spar rivets. There are lots of different sizes here and there are also holes that you can’t rivet yet as other stuff needs to be attached first. Consequently it was very slow going. I would recommend taking your time and double-checking every rivet you place before you set it. I concentrated on the rivets for the rear spar parts today.

I started with the rivets for the rear spar forks. I managed to use the squeezer for almost all of the rivets. I wold recommend that you set the rivets holding the ribs last. This will allow you to flex the ribs out of the way to give you room to squeeze the rivets between the ribs. If you don’t, you’ll have to buck them and I reckon some of them might need the dreaded offset bit to be able to reach (something to be avoided where possible).

I then placed the rivets in the centre double plate. I only wanted to set the rivets that aren’t being used to hold anything else (like ribs or brackets).

Next, I placed the rivets on the outboard red spar doubler plate.

I could set almost all of the rivets in these three areas using the squeezer. There were a couple of rivets that hold ribs that I couldn’t quite reach properly so I left them to buck later. I then got the next group of rivets for the inboard doubler plate on the rear spars.

Finally, I placed the flush head rivets on the outboard rear spar rib union. Surprisingly, these were a right royal pain. I must have been getting tired, hungry or complacent, but for whatever reason I wasn’t setting these square. Consequently, the flush heads weren’t sitting centred in the countersinks resulting in one side of the flush head edge to sit proud. I tired to fix these up by squeezing them some more but I just made it worse. I wasn’t happy with them so I ended up drilling these out and decided to call it a day at this point. Working frustrated = mistakes + more work.

It was great to get back into the shed again. Hopefully I can get some more done tomorrow as it’s a public holiday here.

Build time 4 hours.

Advertisements

About gstrack

Husband and father of 2. Control & Instrumentation Engineer. Flying nut. Gadget geek.

Discussion

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: