//
you're reading...
Empennage

Elevators deburred and scuffed

Today I finished deburring and scuffing the elevator parts. I used my Scotchbrite wheel to deburr as many of the edges as possible. For the hard to reach places, I used my needle files. The spars have a couple of sharp corners near the inner end. Here’s a photo of an example. You can see the rounded and deburred corner on the left and the original on the right.

I also filed the elevator counterweights so that the untouched ends were rounded to a similar profile as the end I filed earlier for the counterweight skins. I did this by clamping the counterweight to the corner of my bench as shown below.

I then used my Vixen file and filed enough of the counterweight so that the profile roughly matched the other end. Here is a photo of the result.

I then gave all the edges a quick sand with some 400 grit sanding sponge and then scuffed all parts. Everything is now ready for dimpling.


Build time 2.5 hrs.

Advertisements

About gstrack

Husband and father of 2. Control & Instrumentation Engineer. Flying nut. Gadget geek.

Discussion

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: